View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2002
Devotee

James Connolly is flying high

People should be directed towards contributing to an existing client as opposed to reinventing the wheel. However, there are reasons to start a new program as well. For example, I am writing a Gnutella server/client in C language, although I know little about C programming. Even if there was an existing, robust C client, my knowledge of C is so little that I would not want to contribute schlocky code to someone's project. I am killing two birds with one stone - I am writing a Gnutella servent, and learning C language more fully at the same time.

To further burden myself, I am trying to avoid looking at other people's programs, Gnutella or otherwise, so that I can learn how to do this by myself as opposed to just copying someone else's program and just modifying it. That way I learn better. In some cases, looking at other people's programs has become unavoidable when I hit a brick wall, specifically in dealing with -

STREAMS - sockets and file I/O
big-endian/little-endian issues
The Gnutella protocol

I have even copied some of the socket stuff line for line, but I am going to re-write those functions myself in the future.

If I was a code wizard I would probably check out all the existing projects and choose one to contribute to, but I will not be doing that until I become a better programmer. I have found bugs in other people's programs and notified them of them, and the developer's have fixed those problems. I have some ideas about the direction of Gnutella and P2P, but I think the direction set should mainly rest with the developers whose clients are most popular, and that their priorities like Ultrapeering and ping/pong caching will be my priorities once my client/server matches the initial spec.

Here is the <a href=http://www.geocities.com/gnutizen>web page</a> of my server/client, Gnutizen.