View Single Post
Old March 27th, 2002
Gnutella Admirer

Sephiroth is flying high

No not at all.

I dont really believe that gnutella is far behind technology. All the other File Sharing programs have some part which is centralized where gnutella isnt. Gnutella is different than other networks and realize that gnutella is a protocol and not just a file sharing network. The potential for gnutella goes way beyond file sharing.

Its a young protocol still it has made some good progress in the past year, the outlook for improvements to the network are looking even better now than a year ago. Theres newer programs and new developers coming to gnutella than ever before most of which are with commerical interests..

The only problem with gnutella is that areas like the GDF are kinda hidden away on yahoo and infomation isnt very well organized and easy to access and find for newer developers.

But things are pretty fair, documentation of proposals are freely avaible, no one is left out at the gdf unless they choose not to go which thats their decision so they cant really complain about the outcome, and programs are working together to improve the network.

Things like clumping together of servents and etc. arent that bad it lets developers add some unique features to there programs without affecting the network too much or because its not supported by the rest of the network. In the end a person can still download off of them and that is what matters.

If you want to stick to the issues and not bring in program poltics then i have no problem with discussing gnutella with you or anyone else..

Quote:
Originally posted by Moak

Isn't that the definition of what's happenig today with Gnutella, Vinnie and GDF?

Indeed, what you describe comes close to my motivation to stop with Gnutella: it's still far behind technology, selfish commercialization make it even more unattractive. I like this thread, because I see some others care about a fair Gnutella. Just a few ppl yet... but the shine of a little light is better than to swear about darkness.

Moak