View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2008
Novicius

kruelkad is flying high

GregorK:
Quote:
Are these system freezes caused of extremly high CPU use or by a complete system lockups/crash.
In case your system crashes then they are mostly caused by system, hardware, driver or Java problems or most likely a combination of these. There is not very much we can do about it in the Phex code.
My computer never freezes or crashes like that, it only did this when I was testing Phex. And in Phex it seems to only happen when searching. There wasn't extreme CPU use that I noticed, only sudden total lockups.

I am not using Java very often and of the few java-based progs I've used none caused such freezes. I install and uninstall a lot of progs actually, but while some of them are buggy and crash, general lock ups never happen (winxp so beats win98 in that department). Well, is it a bad Java install then? Or is Phex known to be allergic to some progs or some configs? I'd like to hear about that.

===========

arne_bab:
Quote:
Which operating system do you use?

For me (GNU/Linux on an amd64) Java 6 works well, and I don't experience freezing.

Which kind of computer do you have?

Do you share many files (please don't naem them, just a yes or no suffices )?
Winxp SP2, PIII 600, 512MB RAM, 2 small 6GB drives
Obviously this is a pretty old computer.

Since I don't have a very large HD space I can't share that many files, obviously. And as a matter of fact I don't. And the ones I am downloading only have a dozen sources in general. So...

Seeing so many posts about Java-related lockups, I have to assume it's bad Java in my computer but maybe I don't know how to clean it up completely for a perfect reinstall.

Thanks for your replies.