View Single Post
Old March 28th, 2002
Gnutella Veteran

Smilin' Joe Fission is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
thanks for the info I sent an e-mail to Grokster and told them I had removed their software and was disgusted with all the spyware on it

they replied with a very long and boring letter saying it's not spyware but "adware" what the heck is the difference?
Adware basically requests ads from an ad server and displays them within a software package designed to display such ads... in this case, Grokster. These adware programs do manage to gather some information on you in order to present you with targetted ads -- in other words, ads that it thinks you would more likely look at rather than the same old 10,000 worthless banner ads for credit cards, life insurance, and those stupid little mini video cameras.

Spyware, on the other hand, is software that sits in the background and gathers information on you. This information is fed to either an advertiser or other 3rd party who might, in turn, sell it to other advertisers or interested 3rd parties.

Quote:
they also said that the fact the "adware" was in the program was stated in the fine print (I'm a woman- I don't read that stuff)
It probably is. (I'm a guy -- I don't read that stuff either. ) I've noticed though, that most companies will try to tell you about the adware or spyware in the most subtle manner possible in order to be able to say "but we told you about it here" whenever you challenge them on it... just like Grokster did to you.

Quote:
not being very computer literate and not saving the info that "Ad-Aware" found I don't have a snappy comeback for them

anyone have any ideas?
Sorry, nothing here.