View Single Post
Old February 24th, 2001
Tommstein

Angry

And if they want to keep 90% or whatever it is of all U.S. accounts they had better not start kicking Gnutella users off. Even though they are the main ISPs, they are not the only ones. If people are no longer able to use them since they are being kicked off for using Gnutella, we can turn to any number of other ISPs, including local ones, and these three you speak of begin losing millions of dollars a year for being the RIAA's patsies. They may be the biggest three right now, but you don't remain big by kicking off your users left and right. Hopefully they realize that, but if not I guess they too will have to learn the hard way. This would seem to be common sense, but common sense seems to be a hard thing to come by these days. What worries me more is that there are less high-speed options available (for example, the only two cable modem services I have heard of are @Home and RoadRunner, and as far as I know most places only have one or the other available). The RIAA can give the main ISPs the people they want kicked off, and the ISPs can be stupid enough to do it, but until they become the only ISPs there will be plenty of other options, and they will only hurt themselves. And as to the high-speed thing, I believe that if they were to start kicking off everyone using Gnutella their numbers would shrink even faster than would regular modem-based services, since there is a higher concentration of people using Gnutella on high-speed connections, because of that very fact that they are high-speed. In any case, whoever starts kicking off people that use Gnutella will hurt their own business, at the same time that said users turn elsewhere and are able to continue. If these three ISPs want to shoot themselves in the foot for the heck of it, so be it. But notice one thing, they have either not contacted the ISPs about shutting down Napster users, or they did and the ISPs told them to go screw themselves. Hopefully that's good news on this front. The other thing I worry about is what I posted about in my other thread. Every time a new technology comes along, and I mean any technology, it cuts into the profit margin on whoever did things the old way. That's just life, how it is. Electricity, cars, boats, planes, refrigerators, video game systems, computers, absolutely anything. I don't know why the judges in this country have to be such @$$e$ in this case just because the RIAA is bi+ching louder than anyone has before. Progress was held back for a thousand years thanks to one Catholic church during the Middle Ages for the benefit of a select few, and look at what that cost us. Can you imagine if that hadn't happened, where we would be today with another thousand years of technological progress under our belts? The RIAA seeks to yet again stop technological progress for their own wallets' sake (as if there wasn't enough in there already), and someone has to put a stop to their crap.