View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2001
Disciple

Maxim is flying high
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by automate:

How can I control that? How can you expect me to watch it all the time. Yea, some copyrighted files will pass by, but there is lots of other stuff so how can you shut me down?
</font>
I don't expect you to do anything but breath. The rest is up to you. However, the law says you are responsible for the material you provide to others via the internet. If you don't like it, don't whine to me. Take steps to change the law.

Quote:

You want me to monitor it all the time, well then you pay someone to sit there and do it, I don't have time.
</font>
Again, I don't want you to do anything. Well, it would be nice if you didn't take my posts as a personal attack, but hey, it's a free country. Buy you should know that legally, whether you can monitor it or not, you're responsible for the material.

Quote:

What about servers like free web site places, people put up a site with copyrighted stuff on it, and till it's found, it stays up. You don't see them shutting down the whole place.
</font>
No, but the particular web site becomes a smoking hole in most cases, or at least is ordered to remove the material or become a smoking hole. That's because the folks providing the server space are required by law to shutdown accounts of customers who use their accounts to violate US copyright law.

Your ISP is required by law to shut you down if you use your DSL, Cable, T1, T3, or 56k connection to violate copyright law. True, you have to be caught first, and then someone has to go through the trouble of complaining about you. And in all liklihood, your ISP will give you a warning before they terminate you. But, again, this is the law.

I'm not trying to scare anyone into shutting down their Gnutella clients. I personally detest the RIAA, and all it stands for, and I hope MP3's of cutting edge music remain an internet staple for a long long time. What I am trying to do is to make sure that people are informed about the risks they are taking. Only an informed citizenry can protect our privacy rights. An uninformed or misinformed citizenry can only do themselves and the rest of us great harm.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE LAW, CHANGE IT. A LITTLE REVOLUTION EVERY TEN YEARS OR SO IS A GOOD THING.

But, just as the revolution won't be televised, it isn't going to happen on this message board. It's one thing to say "Gee, that sucks" and another thing altogether to actually DO something about it.

[This message has been edited by Maxim (edited 03-09-2001).]