View Single Post
Old March 14th, 2001
Tommstein

Question

I admitedly know very little about encryption and how it works and so forth, besides having written a little text encryption program for a friend a few weeks ago, but if anyone can read your encrypted traffic, what's the point of encrypting anything? I don't mean the RIAA hiring a bunch of hussies to sit around and download your crap all day and decide that it's copyrighted, since I'm yet to see a "Disable downloads by the RIAA" feature on any Gnutella client yet, but I was referring more to something like the programs I mentioned in the thread I created that go through traffic automatically and when they find that something sounds like a copyrighted song they terminate your transfer or do anything else they feel like. If encrypted traffic can just be intercepted and read by whoever wants to, what's the point of encrypting anything? I'm not here to hear something I like, because I always want to hear it like it is. I just don't know why anyone would encrypt anything if anyone, even someone that the file is not intended for, can decrypt the information.