View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2008
Novicius

kenoracle is flying high

Sorry - I never had McAfee, although there are many others who had trouble with it.

Originally, Norton Antivirus and Norton Command Center were installed. As stated, they were uninstalled in favor of AVG. After removing Norton, and before installing AVG, I removed and reinstalled a fresh copy of Limewire (another trick suggested on another thread).

Here's what I did since my last post:

1) Installed the AfterDawn Vista Codec Pack.
2) Removed / reinstalled both Java and Limewire as per the instructions that Limewire
Support recommended.
When LW was first started, after the reinstall, LW goes through several steps (rapidly
seen at bottom of screen).
I disabled Windows Firewall and Zone Alarm.
I ran it in Windows Compatibility Mode, and 'run as administrator', both suggestions from
this website. So far, so good.

The first-of-five bar connection bars (left side of screen) showed green. No other bars
become green.

Unfortunately, LW would proceed no further.
-------------------
IN Task Manager, LW continued to run, and could not be ended using 'End Task' command,no
matter how many times I tried.
-------------------
After restarting the Vista computer:
Every subsequent startup of LW: The message at bottom of screen stops at 'loading
internationalization support'. Note fthat a green activity bar continues to move from left
to right and back in the 'loading internationalization support' box.
None of the 5 brown 'connection bars' become green, unless I uninstall / reinstall LW and
Java again.
-----------------------------------------------
So, what should I try next??
Thank you.

Last edited by kenoracle; January 28th, 2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Update of Findings