View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2008
Novicius

tedStevens is flying high
Default use System Restore for Limewire virus setup.exe

I recently came upon this virus on a second computer. The first one was over a year ago. The information in the previous posts is good, but for those who need a simple appraoch that should work as well I recommend XP's "System Restore" built in to the operating system. It was not previously mentioned as an option, and it works in this case.

This is for the downloaded from Limewire "setup.exe" file which is then run and which then disables the command prompt (cmd.exe) and ctrl-alt-delete (Task Manager) and regedit and keeps starting LImewire automatically. System Restore will reverse all these symptoms. And you won't have to know the names of any files (which may vary from machine to machine, anyway)

You must have a restore point from before you first ran the setup.exe. You must know approximately when you first ran setup.exe so you can choose a good restore point. You must have had system restore running (it usually is.) If those things are true. you can get rid of the virus with System Restore.

On the start menu go to programs, then, accessories, then system tools, then system restore. Follow the directions to restore your computer to an earlier time.

Two sidenotes never mentioned in this thread or the other articles I read about this virus.

Not only does it keep starting Limewire, but it changes a key setting in Limewire. It makes all of your "Documents and Settings" folder and sub folders shared, so any Limewire user can see and download all files in these folders.

Also, when this setup.exe is run, it causes the cursor to change to an hourglass, momentarily, and then ... nothing. No setup, no error messages. This should be a tip-off that you may have executed a virus.