View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2002

Moak is flying high

Mrgone, you won't see what is happening, eighter you don't understand or you do dont want to understand? We had many threads here on Gnutellaforums about this issue: Vinnie is turning Gnutella into a proprietary BS network since months (proprietary Gnutella packages, proprietary v0.6 headers, clustering BS clients, prefering BS clients, changing host caches without notice, blocking v0.4 clients without technical reasons, e.g. Xolox). He is sucking knowledge away from the GDF, but new features have been implemented closed for others, without giving back something equivalent. Still ignoring the truth and distributing propaganda is a joke IMHO, on IRC you did speak different to what you say here.

This time prove what you say and prove Vinnie is NOT clustering/blocking and NOT destroying, plundering free Gnutella and that the little guys will NOT have fewer connections. Congratulations developers, you gave Vinnie a free card for plundering. Didn't I hear voices when one vendor starts blocking others, he will be kicked out of the community?

This "sectioning/seperating/clustering" are only beautiful words: As a matter of fact it is a kind of blocking, it looks different but has 90% the same effect as blocking. It's the first step to a full proprietary Bearshare network, loosly based on Gnutella protocol. Just wait some months, Vinnie will introduce more features to increase his domination, now that he manged the first step (and nearly nobody complained).

I was making compromises, tolerated Bearshare/Limewire selfish commercial politics, being nice and friendly, helping newcomers and developers.... for months... but after all I don't believe in it anymore... Vinnie's agressive politics has won. He turned the face of Gnutella for ever! *sigh* Think about it. Gnutella was an open protocol for everyone with a variety of equal client, but this ended on March 2002. Today we have a BS network, a LW network, some clients arround. These other client will be eighter sucked into spyware paid BS/LW network in future (with lots of loud marketing).... or the remaining users regroup into something that is not BS/LW controlled. My advice: Do not cooperate or support BS/LW anymore!
The openP2P network maybe one alternative. Seperating from BS in only a matter of defense, I won't feed Vinnie's BS network with my files anymore. I'm sorry to say... Vinnie started to block other clients, now he should be prepared to get blocked from these clients he disadvantages, he can not abuse others for his Bearshare network.
The better idea: Vinnie should have the honour and the truth and let Gnutella alone, call his network Bearshare network and does not touch Gnutella anymore. If his Bearshare is such better, he should leave (but he needs the Gnutella userbase and first wanna grab a bigger userbase and then take them away + he needs the knowledge/ideas of the other GDF developers to improve his client). It would be also healthy for Gnutella, I see currently no client that has such heavy freeloading support as Bearshare has (and we know busy slots are the biggest pain on Gnutella still). If he leaves, then nobody needs to block someone, users and development could be friendly and efficient and Gnutella could be free again. *dreaming*

Greets, Moak

PS: If you want to see what's a really good proprietary network, then test eDonkey2000 (use Adaware to get rid of the Spyware). eDonkey is many times faster then Gnutella (no empty promises, try and you will see).
PPS: Mrgone, this time you prove your words. Don't ask questions, answer them.
Your criticize-always-the-other tactic doesn't work, explain your own position detailed instead.

Last edited by Moak; March 30th, 2002 at 08:20 AM.