View Single Post
Old February 27th, 2008
Novicius

ricke6 is flying high
Question could connect before, can't connect now

I am running Window's Vista Premium, and have been using LimeWire successfully for over a year. Now, when I try to run it, I get the "you are currently connecting to the internet" phrase, but I never show more than 1 bar.

Basic Info:
1) Windows Vista Premium (I have an Administrator user account)
2) I am running 2007 Norton Antivirus (firewall is on and I have removed & re-added LimeWire.exe as an exception)
(also Windows Vista firewall is shut OFF)
3) 2 gig RAM
4) 90 gig or so Hard Disk space available
5&6) Running a DSL-G604T wireless modem/router (UPnP enabled)
7) I am using this notebook @ home
8) Running LimeWire (4.17.4 beta, had problem on previous version as well, that is when I tried the beta version) Java (1.6.0_03)
9&10) current ISP is local from New Paris, IN (BightNet)(did 6346 port test & it worked OK got message "Your Test Worked!"
11) not sharing the connection w/any other computers
12) have been using LimeWire successfully for about a year, this is the 1st time I have had a connection problem.
13) The brick wall ICON is present in the bottom lower left of the LimeWire application.
14) router is set up w/UPnP enabled
15) using 2007 Norton's Antivirus firewall is called "Internet Worm Connection"
16) living in the US
17&18) there are no speed issues, internet and all other apps using the internet are working fine

I have already tried the following: (with no success)
1) uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version of LimeWire.
2) Opened my Norton's Antivirus program, and removed and then added back LimeWire.exe as an exception
3) Tried adding the Gnutella port as an exception, but could find no Norton option that would allow that
4) Also I have completely disabled the Norton Firewall (I already have the Vista firewall disabled), tried LimeWire, still nothing.
5) Checked Java version (1.6.0_03) seems to be up to date
6) Also used browser to check whether this port is blocked or not
http://www3.limewire.com:6346/ (the port test worked) Then went to LimeWire options and set firewall config to Manual Port 6346. LimeWire still would not connect to internet.

Additional info I have noticed:
1) When I first open LimeWire, there is internet activity, as tho LimeWire is trying to connect, but nothing happens.
2) If I open the connections tab, it shows up to 9 hosts consistently, w/a status of connecting, but it goes no further.
3) All other internet activities seem to be normal.