View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2002
Disciple

plasticparadox is flying high

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Users need a choice, now they have one. It's totally up to them what they do with this.
Do you trust the users to make the right choice, or do you force them to be victims of corporate greed with no choice?
That's silly logic, and it doesn't wash with me. You could apply the same method of thinking to many things. Of course users have a choice, but frankly, no, I don't trust alot of them to make the right one.

By the same token, do you force users to be victims of a smaller, less free network?

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Before this I had no choice.
For example: it seems that when I connect to one BearShare node, then others connect back till I have nothing but BearShare nodes connected. (I am using Gnucleus)
I search and most of the results come from BearShare nodes.
I don't know about you, but BearShare people don't seem to know what good music is. I have my own tastes you know.
So now I can selectivly block BearShare or Morpheus, or even Gnucleus and move around the network to find my music or any other rare files.
It's so nice to have that choice!
If I hear something on the forums here about a client getting greedy, or spying on it's users, I have the choice to block that client and not support it by letting it use my computer network resources.
When I hear that that client has removed the spyware, I can simply change a few settings and that client is not on my bad list anymore.
Power to the people!
If I hear that a old client is creating a problem for the network, I can simply add it to my list to help the network without waiting for a developer group to decide what to do.
What could be so wrong with giving the users a choice?
What I am perceiving from this message is that you want the choice to exclude BearShare users. I suppose that could be a personal choice, although I don't completely understand the rationalle towards it. I used to use BearShare, simply because someone recommended it to me as a good file-sharing tool. Does that mean that I don't have good taste in music? That's not really for anyone to say.

The Gnutella network was founded on the principles of open source. As soon as someone starts selectively choosing exactly WHO is allowed to get that open access, you are contributing to the degradation of the service.

Adware is a fact of life now. I don't use it personally, but it is out there, and that can't be helped. The fact remains that BearShare has contributed to the success of the Gnutella network. A vast amount of files are online because of BearShare, and I don't think that there's anything wrong with that.