View Single Post
Old March 6th, 2008
Apprentice

davidf01 is flying high
Default LM conflict between newer/older versions zapping control files @ 'default' boot mode?

UPDATE:

good news, i hope ... when i re-launched the newer (beta) version of LM, the app was able to see all my old downloads correctly - whereas the previous launch of an older version of LM (which was provoked by the torrent aggregator MyTVShows) had /seeminlgy/ wiped out all my incompleted downloads --

so this is a minimal amount of good news (this LM has special restore powers!) ---

perhaps part of the reason why is that the beta version of LM now seems to store its control files in the user/lib/prefs/limewire/ folder ... not in the user/incomplete folder.

i dont know if this helps somehow but it my case it seems to have made the difference - at least after 1 restart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Rings View Post
Actually running older versions of LW will cause issues with the download.dat file. Though going back to the new version and forcing them back via the Library window > incompletes will get them back to the download window & though initially show zero %, once start downloading will show their previous download %.
hmm, i guess this must be limewire's "revive" feature :-)

Quote:
It sounds like the torrent site binding to a specific version of LW is an issue. Is there anyway to change that?
yes, osx does seem to bind the data (the torrent file) to a specific program (a stable version of LM - not the beta version, which is what i mostly use).

the only way to _manually_ change the binding is to use GETINFO ... the the command for associating a file with an app is displayed in the "open with" setting .... but this wont solve a problem retrospectively (ie once an older version nof LM is already launched & doing stuff to the control files).

Quote:
AFAIK regular programs should not be used in safe boot mode under normal circumstances. I have not attempted to do what you are doing.
i was actually NOT referring to safe mode - but instead to its cousin, "default" mode (which only disables the login items for a user-level startup ... not the system-level startup, which is actually 'safety mode')

Quote:
BTW if you are still having problems with download.bak, there was a backup system posted before LW introduced an improved download.bak management system (my guess is based on the one that was posted or at least their own approach to the issue). Check the OSX section stickies on the forum to locate it.
nice to know that a) LM has explictly addressed the brittle backup issue in general and that b) there was some separate utility available before (and still now).

Quote:
Mac makes their own Java unfortunately. It has never been as good as the Java for other OSs.
the inadequecy of apple's jvm must come as a shock to all those devs at sun who are using apple gear :-) ....

supposedly java6 is supposed to deliver substantial performance improvements and memory effeciancy ... has any beta of LM be built against java6 yet in order to get some preliminary benchmarks?

Quote:
re responsiveness: Simple answers are: to close LW periodically; reduce incompletes, Tip: Purge the Downloads Queue!; keep shares below 2,000; not share from slow external drives such as FW400 or usb.
wow.

that is frightening advise! (albeit useful).

Quote:
As far as keeping old incomplete files, they are useless unless you have a healthy download.dat/bak file that recognises them. Else LW will just ignore them or think of them as an empty incomplete file. Not sure if hash info will be stored either, which means the file(s) identity and source may have been lossed. Stief will probably know more.

damn!