View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2008
The bellboy

lucasuam is flying high

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregorK View Post
.properties files are supposed to be in ISO-8859-1 (Latin1) encoding. Non-latin characters need to be written in unicode escape character sequences, like \uXXXX.
This is of course difficult to write easily. Thats why there is the tool native2ascii coming with the JDK.

I would suggest you two approaches. Either make your translation into a Lang_en_MX.utf8.properties file saved in UTF8 encoding and then run the native2ascii tool:
native2ascii -encoding UTF8 Lang_en_MX.utf8.properties Lang_en_MX.properties

Or use the Gettext PO format which also gives you the possibility to use a wide range of Gettext editors. With the tool prop2po and po2prop you can convert your files in either way.
toolkitrop2po ยท Translate Toolkit & Pootle
Thanks a lot for the info GregorK

I still don't get very well your approaches but let me tell you some... I'll come back and re-edit this post to make comments on what your are suggesting me. Firstly I mus find out what you are saying... (I know about the "po" files but I've never used such a text editor... so firstly I'll get involved before saying nonsenses.

Kind Regards

EDIT: GregorK. As I promised.... Ok the files WERE converted to ISO-8859-15 and now I can see the accents... I use "gedit" and I did not know about this... but now they seem to work just fine
Luis

Last edited by lucasuam; May 3rd, 2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Now I understand.....