View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2008
Apprentice

tempusfugit is flying high
Arrow Managing Expectations

Remoc:

Thanks for this - like yourself I did not get to the entire piece but certainly "got the drift".

Here's an update from last night and again tonight:

First let me say that when I'm in "turbo" mode, I noticed that I am only connected to 5 "Ultra Peers".....

Last night when I connected I got an "excellent" connection but it was not turbo - and I was connected to about 20 "peers".

Tonight when I connected (about 5 minutes ago) I got a turbo connection - again to 5 UltraPeers.

So, it seems to be a "hit or miss" thing.....

That being said, I must make an observation about "managing expectations" - which I trust that the appropriate LW "PRO" folks will become aware of....

The advertisement or encouragement to become a pro user certainly left me (and I suspect others as well) with the "impression" that it would indeed be faster etc. etc. etc.

I was unaware of any bandwidth throttling issues until I visited this forum.

If that is indeed "part" of the problem with the connection quality, then it would seem appropriate to place some sort of caveat in the PRO encouragement to indicate that the quality may not be up-to-expectations and it is something that is outside the control of the Gnutella folks.....

While that could result in a lesser uptake on the use of PRO, it could be more realistic and off-set the large number of posts in this forum that relate to "connection problems".....

Please don't take me wrong - I'm not dissatisfied - LW has been VERY good for me and allowed me to build an extensive library of music. It is primarily for that reason that I decided to "contribute" by becoming a Pro user.....the added benefits would have been nice...and when they are only forthcoming on a sporadic basis, then one gets into the realm of "managing expectations".....

Hence my suggestion for some form of amendment to the advertisement...

In the meantime, I'll continue to use LW and will take whatever is given to me at any given time.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers = Roger

Last edited by Remoc; May 6th, 2008 at 05:43 PM.