Thread: Router
View Single Post
Old April 5th, 2002
Apprentice

theseum is flying high
Default Important: Are you behind a Router?

My original post:

I am behind a router and I'm not quite sure what my external IP is. Will this interfere with people trying to connect? I'm running gnucleus (latest release) and in the last night, I had two completed uploads and two uploads that reported "host unreachable." It's these that worry me. I want to make sure that anybody on the network can access my files (and you should, too!) So, what do I have to do? Change a configuration setting in Gnucleus? Set up port mapping in my router? Both? Or is it working fine now and those "host unreachables" are an unrelated problem?

Thanks!

But then I found this: http://198.77.215.32/gnuforum/viewthread.php?tid=609

So the answer is YES! If you are behind a router using NAT, and you have access to this router (like a home LAN) then please set up port forwarding if you have not already. The way you do this is different for each router but in general what you have to do is make it so that the incoming traffic on port 6346 (or whatever you use) goes to the internal ip of your gnutella machine (which might look something like 192.168.0.25 or 10.0.0.16)

Thanks!

PS: My gnucleus copy seems to have figured out my external IP by itself, maybe yours has done the same but you still need port forwarding (I think.)

Last edited by theseum; April 5th, 2002 at 06:44 AM.