View Single Post
Old May 26th, 2008
Gnutella Jewel

Orange County Ca is flying high
Default IP address vs home address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerless View Post
you're wrong....and IP address is similar to a house address...it is not an ID of the computer....
thanks for that Peer. I'd like to believe that but this site, for a few dollars, claims they can identify your very house with a IP number:

People-Search.com

Or, I think, give me my IP address by entering my home street address.

My point is that if the cops collect my IP address via my downloading or uploading something to/from my PC they can pinpoint the street address.

If I'm allowing someone to collect my IP address and I don't know how to disguise or hide it its effectively public information.

I assume my only option, assuming I'm one of the bad guys here is to dump my computer, get a new one for cash and never register the warranty or anything else for that matter.

And if I want my enemy to get arrested all I have to do is buy his old but registered computer, not change the address, download and share CP then watch the cops fruitlessly raid his home.

I actually hope I'm wrong on all this, that my privacy can't be invaded that easily but with the web site I referred to the scenario is realistic. Show me how I'm wrong. Please

Last edited by Orange County Ca; May 26th, 2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Sp