View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2008
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation
Default Has LimeWire program behaviour become a Rogue identity in the Gnutella environment?

Using LW Pro 16.6, I found that LW users were stealing all my upload slots. Phex users were being pushed out of the queue. I turned partial file sharing option off. This did make some improvement seeing more Phex users in the queue, however still Phex users were being pushed out; all open slots went to LW users, else LW users would steal all the upload bandwidth. Then often Phex users would be pushed out of their upload slot after a time. I have about 15 snapshots over a few hours which I could provide if requested to prove this happening.

Last time I saw behaviour as aggressive as this was some years ago with Morpheus & some versions of other gnutella clients.

I do not believe this is fair behaviour on the gnutella network & whether deliberately or unintentionally, this aggressive behaviour by LW has crept in.

It was already known LW searches tend to favor other LW users. It seems they wish to steal the gnutella network for themselves, at least that's the impression it gives, and leave other gnutella clients out in the cold.

So my questions are:
* Is this behaviour acceptable now for gnutella clients?
* If above answer is yes, then why doesn't Phex take a more aggressive approach at making sure their users connect more easily with LW users? (I like to use Phex for numerous reasons, one of them being that it connects to many more 'other' gnutella clients & finding files that LW doesn't seem to be able to.)
* What should be done about this?