View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2002
Daemon

Nosferatu is flying high
Default Re: Authors and Filesharing

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

A lot of the freespeech and file sharing programmes seem to portray creators like writers and muscians as greedy.

I disagree - they tend to portray the large record companies, their major signings and lobby groups as greedy.

It is these lobby groups which then try to link in all the minor artists, pretending that they represent all artists, even though they do not.

Quote:
All of the programmes like PayPal require debit cards and credit cards and the banks here will only give proper debit cards and credit cards to people with fixed incomes way out of the range of what I get.

This is a problem in all nations. It is a chicken and egg situation, and the odd thing I find is that people with a bad credit record have a greater chance of getting a credit card than people with no credit record at all!

Have you looked into 'offshore' banks - I have never tried them because they seems dodgey and luckily I finally 'made the grade' and was accepted for a credit card recently (just!) but there are banks which may grant you a credit card. Search the net, there is plenty of info on them (it wouldn't be proper for me to provide links here).

Quote:
Instead we get useless debit cards that only work at supermarkets etc within the country and are not accepted by companies like PayPal. Trust me, I have spent over a year now being frusatrated by that one.

Even if there was a way around that and I could get onto a programme like PayPal, asking for voluntary donations, there is no way to compel other people sharing the files to keep the link to such a programme such as PayPal on the page since they can alter the page or text however which way they feel like.

There is another file sharing protocol called <A HREF="http://freenet.sourceforge.net">freenet</A> which would be very suitable for what you would like to do.

It allows anonymous, untracable publishing, and allows cryptographically signing pages, as well as URLs which cryptographically 'lock' a pages content (if the page contents changes, then the URL must change).

Once this network takes off you will be able to establish an anonymous identity which people will recognise by reputation (assuming you are any good )and so although people will still be able to copy your work and repost it elsewhere, you would have a fighting chance, since you will always be first with the goods.

Unfortunatly this project is currently too slow for most users patience. As a result there is also little content. Soon they will release a majorly-rewitten version which should speed things up a bit.

There are <A HREF="http://www.cypherspace.org/links.html">open source projects to develop ecommerce systems using distributed computing technology deployed on users PCs, such as Eternity,</A> which if they ever come to fruition will fix your problem with PayPal.

Good luck

Nos

Last edited by Nosferatu; April 7th, 2002 at 03:16 AM.