View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2002
Happy Sharer

Default Index Building, 100%CPU, Access Violations

I recently bought a new 60 gig hard drive and placed all the files for sharing from the various machines here onto the new drive. It's almost full (57.5 g). I am downloading prolifically to a separate drive. I haven't specified this for sharing but it seems to do it anyway. (D:\Program Files\Xolox\xoloxdloads from the download tab on preferences). Here are the problems:-

1) Everytime a new file is finished downloading the entire index rebuilds itself. This is typically taking 2-3 minutes, and CPU usage goes up to 100% during the build. It completely messes up anything else I am doing on the computer, most especially NERO, and even my 'burn-proof' cdr is making duff product. I am downloading files at approximately the same rate (i.e. a file every 2-3 minutes).

I am reluctant to stop sharing my wonderful files with everyone and I typically have 3-4 users leached on to me at any time. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can continue sharing and downloading, and yet avoid the index build process across the new (and unchanged) drive please?

2) Since I put this new drive online I seem to be getting XOLOX Access Violation messages quite frequently which appear to hang xolox up and I have to restart it. Are these messages a result of something going wrong on my computer or am I being hacked by some nasty person? Does anyone know what these messages mean please? I don't have a firewall on this computer (and I don't want one either).

Your help gratefully received!!

I have an AMD900 with windows XP, DSL connection, sharing around 9000 files in approx 60 gigs across 2 drives.