View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2002
Daemon

Nosferatu is flying high
Smile Search based blocking and network clustering

Two common requests can be serviced by implementing one mechanism (OK, two mechanisms) (well, three would be nice).

Part 1

Give the user a control so they can drop searches they want to by policy. This will make people happy who object to some content on Gnutella, and who knows, might even have some impact on the more objectionable content.

I don't believe that default policies should be provided - that would be a form of censorship imposed by the developers. But if each user can choose exactly what terms they want to drop if any, then this is democracy (or mob rule

Part 3

Some clients provide statistics on which search terms are being used, ie number of searches seen for each individual word. This would be useful as it allows the user to most efficiently target whatever it is they think they object to.

Part 2

As part of this blocking, there should be an answer packet which says 'I just dropped your search because I don't like it'.

In response, the client searching should drop the connection if it knows of another host who has not blocked the search, and connect to that host instead.

This way, clients who search for avi or mpeg or iso will evolve into a group separate from clients who block these searches.

I am sure this topic will stimulate some debate

Meantime I'm trying to figure out how to program so I can implement it.

Nos