View Single Post
Old April 7th, 2002
Gnutella Veteran

Smilin' Joe Fission is flying high
Default Re: Search based blocking and network clustering

Quote:
Originally posted by Nosferatu
Part 1

Give the user a control so they can drop searches they want to by policy. This will make people happy who object to some content on Gnutella, and who knows, might even have some impact on the more objectionable content.

I don't believe that default policies should be provided - that would be a form of censorship imposed by the developers. But if each user can choose exactly what terms they want to drop if any, then this is democracy (or mob rule
Most clients already implement search filtering by keyword. What is the difference between that and your proposal?
Quote:

Part 2

As part of this blocking, there should be an answer packet which says 'I just dropped your search because I don't like it'.

In response, the client searching should drop the connection if it knows of another host who has not blocked the search, and connect to that host instead.

This way, clients who search for avi or mpeg or iso will evolve into a group separate from clients who block these searches.

I am sure this topic will stimulate some debate

Meantime I'm trying to figure out how to program so I can implement it.
Adding packet types would mean changing the Gnutella protocol. That cannot be done arbitrarily. Besides that, more packets flying around the network means more data to route. I think the main goal is to cut down on the amount of useless data that needs to be routed. Some of us have bandwidth limits.

And what good would come from seperating the network exactly?

Let's not start trying to add politics to a network that's supposed to be politically neutral, shall we? Thanks.