Thread: My wish list
View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2002
Gnutella Aficionado

Taliban is flying high
Default Re: Response to Taliban comments

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
2. I call the people leeches who queue up all the files I have by an artist or even multiple artists. It ****** me off to see my upload window scrolling like crazy and I block them. I don't care how many files they have shared, they're greedy.
You can hide your upload window, if it bugs you...

Quote:
7. I like to only see completed uploads and I don't care about failed ones most of the time.
The LimeWire Code is at limewire.org, it's a simple change. So you can customize your own version. I did it, too.

Quote:
9. I all ready edited the file to zero, but I shouldn't have to do that. I don't think this feature works anyway since I think 80-90% of people on the network are sharing few or no files, yet I get buried with more requests than I can handle.
That feature works perfectly well, - it removes connections to hosts that share less a specified number of files. They are allowed to download from you, however, since a servent doesn't tell you how many files he's sharing when sending you a HTTP - GET.

Quote:
10. I just don't like people snooping, especially RIAA, NetPD or Media Enforcer bots that might be cataloging file libraries.
They don't have to do that, they are seeing all the QueryReplies you send to the network. After a while they will know perfectly well, which files you have, without bothering to connect to you.

Quote:
11. Responses to push requests from firewalled people seem pretty rare for me.
So what? Sometimes they do respond, and they usually are pretty fast.

Quote:
12. The comment is only a description that's associated with the IP, for my info only. It's easy to store a description along with an IP in a config file.
Sorry, I thought you wanted the other host to see that description. This however is pretty useless in the age of dynamic IPs.

Quote:
15. It bugs me when a download's zipping along and then suddenly hits a brick wall and stops for a long, long time. It sits for too long before trying someone else.
LimeWire keeps trying someone else until it's downloading from 4 hosts in case of a CABLE/DSL/T1 connection. If one download pauses, but isn't stopped, only modem users face the problem that LimeWire doesn't try new hosts.

Quote:
18. People uploading at near 0 KB/s are wasting an upload slot and I want to boot them. They're probably trying to download too many files at once.
The uploadslot isn't wasted since LimeWire can dynamically set the number of upload slots, that's why you should the number of MAX_UPLOADS to a high value (e.g. 20)

Quote:
19. I didn't know JRE 1.4.1 was out.
It isn't.

Quote:
20. Mozilla and Netscape have time remaining and it's fairly accurate
But they are usually downloading from servers which are quite stable. Gnutella clients however often stop uploads for no apparent reason, LimeWire constantly keeps looking for other hosts to download from, so there are to many unknown variables in a calculation of remaining time. It's useless eye-candy.

Quote:
21. I want to turn off sharing temporarily so I can let the remaining uploads finish without new ones coming in so I can shut down LimeWire. Currently, I block incoming connections with my firewall to do this.
ShutdownAfterTransfers works, unless you click on that limewire icon in your systemtray again, since that would cancel the shutdown.