View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2008
Novicius

giboni is flying high
Default Ooops

Hi,
My goodness did not mean to upset anyone.N lite is a program to remove parts of Xp.For example messenger,outlook express,restore etc.Started using this program to upgrade Pentium II machines that were being discarded which I recycled.With hard drives of three or four gigabytes a full install plus the CPU
memory overhead made them impractical Internet appliances.With N-Lite was able to Install a version of Xp of 185 megabytes.Using programs such as Foobar,Burn cdc and other lite footprint free ware programs had all the basic functionality that an Internet Appliance requires.I give these machines away to people and children that are poor and cannot afford computers.By giving them away have encouraged many people to discover the power freedom and self learning education potential of the Internet.I live in NYC not a weekend or hardly a day goes by in my walks that I do not find discarded computers.In fact in my rather well to do part of Brooklyn the Super Intendants collect Monitors computers for me.Monitors are getting hard to come by now unfortunately.Have more working machines than monitors.Now I am collecting Athlons,duron P-4,lots of P-111 machines.I do not accept any more PII or 1s k-5-6-7 but take parts like memory and HD of at least 10 Gigabytes power supply s.
The lighter Xp is made the faster she will run on old machines.Most people never have a need with what comes with a full version anyways.For example my personal Internet browsing appliance loads with 69 megabytes in memory XpPro 32 bit.After manualy starting Kerio firewall and TeaTimer she pushes 100m.Also what is bundled in Xp such as Media player a resource hog with a huge footprint on processing resources or IE can be N uked out of it and replaced with open source or free to use software like the notorious burning feature or almost useless firewall and security features.Tweaked Fire Fox is twice as fast as Tweaked IE with fewer problems coupled with judicious choice of DNS servers or free TWdl DNS program.All the extra Networking features can be iether disabled or set to manual,printer sharing off,and other basically useless features that compromise security.I build Frankenstein Computers and over clock them to.I have an endless supply of parts and have Image as well data Backups of all the software I have collected since 1998.An Hd blows up no problem.20 minutes have a similar one formatted and the image duplicate of the last one mounted.In fact I have never bought a computer.My first in my forty's was a 486 with 95 that I found discarded and fixed.A borrowed dial up Internet account.I am behind the times.Quad core Extreme with 16gigs DDR2memory 64bit operating system Vista sata II SSHard drive and 750 Gig Sata II.I am comfortable with the scuzzy drives I recycled.People are throwing out eighty gigs forty found a 120gig last week.9 months ago put a 150gig in my music Athlon 3300+ Dj Nforce appliance overclocked to 2.6gh water cooled.I have found unrepairable machines loaded with 2,3,4 gigs of dual DDR ram.Back to figuring out why this SB5100 modem bricked up.I have come a long way though from dial up to using a dual wan router and two cable modems.Can't wait for FIOS.I am so sorry that you came to these conclusions after reading my last post.The fact is if you know your stuff,research you can do what you want with computers.Its all good.Take care.Hopefully people will throw out 100gig or better soon so that I can consolidate a tetra byte plus of files into more efficient appliances.