View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2002
Gnutella Veteran

sipher is flying high
Default Limewire blocks or limits disimiliar clients?

I just read this in the general chat forum and I apologize if this is not true but somebody posted up a list of all the clients and they're attributes:

"
www.gnutella.com/connect

Code Name
-----------------
BEAR BearShare $$
CULT Cultiv8r
FISH PEERanha
FIRE FireFly
GNEW gnewtellium +
GNOT Gnotella *
GNUC Gnucleus +
GNUT Gnut *+
GTKG Gtk-Gnutella +
HSLG Hagelslag +*
LIME LimeWire $$ +
MACT Mactella +
MRPH Morpheus $
MUTE Mutella +
NAPS NapShare +
OCFG OpenCola *
OPRA Opera *
PHEX Phex +
QTEL Qtella +
SALM Salmonella
SNUT SwapNut $ *
SWAP Swapper *
TOAD ToadNode
XOLO XoloX *
ZIGA Ziga
+ = Available as Open Source

* = Discontinued Gnutella client as known on April/2002

$ = This client bundles 3rd party code (Ad- or Spyware) to the installer. Becarefull when testing!

$$ = This client bundles 3rd party code (Ad- or Spyware) AND disadvantages or blocks other clients."

It says limewire and bearshare limit or block other clients... I've read few things about the lime wire developers preaching about how freewire is undermining what's "trying to be done here" and inhibiting development by re-releasing limewire's code with not many real changes but if you ask me what they're doing is far FAR worse. What in the hell is the point of doing that? For one thing it seems like shooting yourself in the foot and hurting your users.

There's an open p2p with lots of open free clients and one of the clients developers tries to make it's only little private network under the larger one (or maybe it's just limiting not entirely blocking) - is every one going to switch to their client or use one of the other 20 options? It doesn't even make sense. Same goes for bearshare, this is just as bad as the spyware stuff if not worse. Don't preach about the concept of open networks and open source if you're going to do something like this.

Also on a sidenote it may help to delete router.limewire.com from your hosts because that ONLY caches other limewire clients. connect1.gnutellanenet.com (1-7 actually) are open to all.