View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2002
Gnutella Veteran

Smilin' Joe Fission is flying high
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Search based blocking and network clustering

Quote:
Originally posted by Nosferatu
But because of the pluralistic nature of the population of gnutella users, for most search terms it wouldn't be any kind of problem.
Until the system starts becoming abused. Yes, it will be abused.
Quote:
They can search. As I describe above, if most people think their search is OK, most people will propogate it. Do you have any idea how many gnutella clients there are? It's in the tens to hundreds of millions. If one client blocks something, that still leaves a lot of clients which will pass on the request. I have slowed their search by some milliseconds.
Have you personally counted all of the Gnutella clients? Have you counted how many of those clients are active at one time? I can pull a number out of my butt too, but unless I can guarantee its accuracy, it's meaningless. I think you're severely overestimating the number of active Gnutella clients out there.
Quote:
I am sick of the stuff.
So that gives you the right to break the network? Think of it this way... I'm connected to the network, but I just happen to be connected to 10 hosts that are searching for terms that you deem unwanted. These 10 hosts I'm connected to are connected to other clients which support search blocking. Even if I'm searching for something legitimate, under your proposal, the clients searching for inappropriate terms will be disconnected. I and the thousand or more other hosts, being unfortunate enough to connect to these 10 hosts now have an ever shifting, ever changing horizon because they're being disconnected all the time. So, you're not only hurting the ones initiating the improper searches, but you're also affecting the hundreds or even thousands of clients connected to them. You're constantly changing their horizons.
Quote:
You have a major problem understanding statistics and democracy and how the two interact.
I do huh? Et tu? I suppose you're the master of statistics. Do YOU have the "statistics" to support your claims? Didn't think so. So I'm telling you what I think will happen to the network if your proposal is implemented. Unless you have the data to back up your claims, all you're doing is saying what you THINK will happen if your proposal is implemented.
Quote:
On the other hand, if it is a good idea, we will figure out how to do it and do it and the idea will spread - users will demand it or move clients.
Fine. Get back to me when that happens.
Quote:
Your opinion as an individual that 'the idea just plain sux' is only the idea of one person, and you speak for no one except yourself. Thanks for your opinion. Anyone else with the same opinion, consider yourselves spoken for already by Smilin' Joe.
In other words "Don't bother saying anything unless you agree with me." That sure makes for a great debate.