View Single Post
Old July 16th, 2008
Cleaning Lady

ursula is a great assister to others; your light through the dark tunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lots_n_more View Post
I downloaded several movies but I cant get them to play on windows vista? says I need a code but they play fine on my other computer, that has windows xp. How can I fix this?
OK...

Let's get some things straight here, right ?

Your first post, as quoted above, clearly states that you could not 'play' files that you had downloaded... That means files that you had SUCCESSFULY downloaded...

It does NOT mean that you cannot successfully download files, does it ?

Your REAL problem is that you are one of the millions and millions of victims - Yes, Victims - of Microsoft Vista. (And, even more hapless folks who are 'enjoying' the benefits of innocently installing Service Pack 3 for XP !)

You are going to need to disable numerous 'protection features' of the dreaded garbage intrusive mothering 'granny' Vista.

Your problem is your Operating System configurations.
It is NOT related to any of the p2p 'clients', i.e. Limewire or Phex or BearShare or whatever.

It is not so difficult to 'disable' this rubbish that Microsoft enforces upon you.

The problem is called "Security Center"

Here are two links that should help you...

The first one

Disable or Turn Off Windows XP Security Center Permanently » My Digital Life

is a sort of easy Disney version that will hopefully work for you because it's not at all 'dangerous' to do and is explained quite clearly.
(Ignore the fact that the title of the link only mentions XP - The advice applies to both XP and Vista.)

--------------------------------------------------------------

The following second link is NOT for newbees but is also not particularly difficult if... IF you follow the instructions EXACTLY...

Remove the Security Center From Vista [Archive] - Techzonez

Now, here's the problem... The first one may not work !

The second link will definitely work.
If the first link is not successful, you may want to ask a friend who ACTUALLY knows what they are doing to help you with the second link !

Have Fun !!!

p.s.

Unless your I.Q. is a smaller number than your shoe size, you will already have installed and be running other Firewall and/or 'Internet Security' programs from other companies, so ignore any of the nagging messages from Vista that you are 'not protected'.
In fact, if the above fix(es) are successful, you should get no warnings at all !

Last edited by ursula; July 16th, 2008 at 05:43 PM.