View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2008
Riding a Pale Horse and Wielding THE Sword of the Forum

Peerless is a jewel in the rough

when you say won't restart, do you mean that when you hit Start>turn off computer>restart it just hangs there?

I've had this happen a few times, though I don't think I related it to an update...

try the following at your own risk...first, make sure all programs are shut down and no folders are open...then simply hit the power button on the front of your case...I have found windows XP to be the most robust OS I've ever used...I've had power outages, manually turned the sucker off, etc, and haven't lost a thing...in fact when I restart FireFox after such an event I am even asked if I want to restore the previous session (i.e. no data was lost in any fashion)...

if you choose the above path, the machine should not power off rather it should restart from the boot process and re-enter the OS...if you have to do this two times in a row something is afoot....a good defragmentation of your drive might be necessary...and it may be that your drive is sooooo fragmented that the updates ended up spread all over your machine and its having issues properly running at this point...

So Long and Thanks for All the Files

Beware of the big 3 insurance companies in Texas! Read your policies carefully (maybe you'll need a lawyer) Allstate, Farmers & State Farm are overextended and their 'coverage' is worthless...a true waste of your money Read This