View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2008
nonbeliever

The Shadow is flying high

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessb57 View Post
After getting updates from microsoft my computer won't restart.
Not exactly a rare event.
Quote:
I have tried deleting some of the updates but my computer still won't restart. It tries but stops.
HOW are you accessing your Operating System files in order to attempt to do the deletes?
With another computer and just accessing your drive as a slave?
Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions???
In addition to the above basic truths-
Some crazy but proven tricks, but it may now be far too late if you have been doing anything to your OS files.
Deleting MS update files is normally a very unhealthy thing to do because the update process normally removes numerous files that are required to be available after removing an update.
I wonder if you did a proper restart immediately after finishing the MS update sequence. Also wonder if you have any 'washer' programs running at startup.
= Death.

One old and still effective trick is to simply disconnect the power cable from your computer and press the power/on switch 5 or 6 times. The first time you do this you may notice that the power/on led comes on for a very brief moment. I believe that what is happening is a dumb but safe way to do a capacitor charge dump. This works very often.
Other way is obviously using Safe Mode, but I am guessing that you have already tried this. If not, using F8 at that magical moment in the post POST boot sequence will give you the option to either try the 'last good... blah blah' or go straight into the restore function. You have been creating (and suitably deleting) restore points, right?

Other things to consider are basic and not crazy coincidental- You may have had coincidental a memory or hard disc or motherboard or simple cable failure.
This is not a stupid thing to mention. These things happen all the time and you can go crazy trying to 'fix' something that is OK because your diagnosis is wrong. This is as common as it gets!

A few other tricks can be done with the sfc command (even when the drive is running as a slave!).

Or, a partial reinstall that will preserve your personal data but probably give you a delightful multitude of default folders that you will go nuts trying to delete!

Last, just say f-it and copy all of your personal data to another disc when running the corrupted OS drive as a slave.

Loads more but who knows how far you want to go?

Last edited by The Shadow; August 1st, 2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: stupid spelling errors