View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2001
Apprentice

hael is flying high
Thumbs up

I dreamed of doing the same thing, because I belive FURI has the best underlying structure with the file search/candidate stuff. Of course I'm only beginning to understand the furi classes and so forth (i'm a graphics guy mostly), but the same thing occured to me.

I'd say this (just my opinion), if William doesn't answer any emails, which he doesn't appear to do, then just let him know what your doing, that your not making a profit from it, therefore no royalties are due to William. Then in your readme.txt give props to William for and say your client is based on the FURI client's codebase. Nuff said.

In asp/webstuff which is what i'm familiar with, the general rule is that if you modify/update or otherwise change source code by 20 - 25% (I can't remember which) its effectily yours (in the event that you have to prove it).

Maybe the GNU applies in a similar fashion. Personlly I've been composing a lengthy email of bugs and wishes for the next release. To hear you say he hasn't released an update to his client in over a year is disheartening given the amount of work I've already put into it.

Thus, I would LOVE to see you release a version of the FURI codebase, minus some of the cludgy stuff that slows it down and or doesn't work well.

I'd rather send you the email of bugs/wishes and have those considered for your relase. I'd even love to help with any of the graphics, buttons, or interface design!

Let me know if your interested in either my email that was to be send to william, my assistance, or both!

Best regards,
Hael