View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2002
Unregistered

Default LimeWire producing nonstop java processes

Greetings all,

Didn't see this addressed in the troubleshooting faq, so I thought I'd post on it.

Got LimeWire (2.3.3) and the JRE (1.3.1_03) working after several hours work a couple of days ago. After running LimeWire for a while I began to notice my system was slowing down--I'm running Gnome on a Mandrake 8.2 install. With a P4 1.7 GHz and 256 MBs of RDRAM, system lag is somewhat unusual. What I'm finding is that I'm getting nonstop production of java processes. Right now, my top reads:

12:57am up 1:48, 2 users, load average: 0.48, 0.36, 0.71
120 processes: 119 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
CPU states: 5.2% user, 4.0% system, 0.0% nice, 90.6% idle
Mem: 255588K av, 252212K used, 3376K free, 0K shrd, 4148K buff
Swap: 248968K av, 28188K used, 220780K free 110548K cached

An hour ago, before a reboot, LimeWire had been up long enough to become an ultrapeer, and I had 200 some processes. Right now, after the top was run, ps reveals that there are 50 sleeping java processes consuming my memory--more than 100% of it, if top is to be believed. BTW, right now I'm only serving as a leaf node.

I'm not sure if this is a LimeWire or JRE issue, but LimeWire is the only java program I've run yet on this system, so I haven't checked to see if others would behave the same way. Also, a quick check of the JRE forum at Sun didn't reveal any threads related to this issue.

So, what can I do? Is this situation abnormal? I've gone through the LimeWire options to try and reduce the load, but the only thing appropriate I could find (besides the "don't serve as ultrapeer" box) was the freeloader bar, which is already set at "rarely".

Any suggestions would be appreciated--thanks in advance...