View Single Post
Old August 29th, 2008
ContraBanned

Lord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputationLord of the Rings has a distinguished reputation

Own music sharing: Insert your CD, set your player to convert to WAV (safest to extract to uncompressed WAV format first.) Then choose mp3 format in your player. Choose a reasonable bit rate depending on your thoughts of the music. 192-320 kbps is good. Even better is to use a VBR (Variable Bit Rate) conversion which may leave the song anywhere between 192-300 kbps for example. After finishing converting to mp3 you can delete the WAV files. Some people like to share compressed 'lossless' files (means no information is thrown away as mp3 format does.) FLAC & Apple Lossless are two popular formats. They take up about 60% of WAV size. Oh & add id3 tags to the files. This will give the downloader information on the file (album, artist, perhaps album art, comments, etc.) Usually you can do that within most players.

How to share files: To share such files, go to LW's menu bar, Tools > Options > Sharing, press Browse button & direct LW to where the files are stored. Then select that folder. eg: My Music folder or artist folders within that folder. Example for myself I share specific album or artist folders from my iTunes Music Library (iTunes creates & stores its own music library folders.) More on this here: How to Share Folders (click on link)

Make sure XP firewall is configured to allow LW full access; check User Cant Connect - LimeWire

If still problems connecting, try to find the model number of your Linksys. The number you gave is a serial number. Your modem may just simply be a modem & not have any NAT which is what can affect p2p sharing.

More on beginning to use LW here: http://www.gnutellaforums.com/gettin...ser-guide.html