View Single Post
Old September 23rd, 2008
Novicius

Anaconda is flying high
Smile Sound Vanished

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
Hiya...

First, you're going to maybe hear a lot of other opinions about CODECs and what 'packs' are best...

I've tried many of them and always come back to

> Cole2k Codecs

If you decide to try this pack, be sure to download ONLY the Standard Pack and use ONLY the 'Easy' install... NOT Advanced.
And, you don't need the toolbar that's offered !

After installing any CODEC pack, you MUST shutdown your computer and then do a normal 'cold' start.

After, you should be able to play almost anything...

If you update WMP or install any other player that comes bundled with its own CODEC pack you will need to properly uninstall the CODEC pack you have downloaded and installed previously and then reinstall it.
This is a HARD FACT for ALL CODEC packs !

(Many 'players', including WMP, don't actually inform you that your installed CODECs will be either altered or deleted.)

Hi Ursula,

I also have a problem with CODEC. I would try your advice, but I'm not sure if I'm going to mess up even more, as I don't understanding very well.
I have a Vaio Sony with Windows XP, which after some updates and restarting, the sound vanished. I verified in "Device Manager" and it has 2 yellow exclamation marks in:

"SCSI and RAID Controllers"
! SCSI/RAID Host Controller

and..

"Sound, video and game controller"
! SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

I tried to 'right click' and update, but it asked for the disc. As this computer is rented, I don't have any disc. I know that probably I have to download them again, right? Please, what can I do?