View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2008
Riding a Pale Horse and Wielding THE Sword of the Forum

Peerless is a jewel in the rough

1: just exactly where did you acquire your copy of LW

2: are you running a firewall (I don't consider the built in version with XP or Vista to be a firewall)

3: are you using PeerGuardian 2 while on the network

you say you have McAfee, is that just the Anti Virus, or is it a full security suite with a firewall?

if you have a legit copy of LW, and are running a firewall, but not using PG2 then that could be the root of your problem...i.e. the paid henchmen of the RIAA/MPAA, or just general known hackers, hacked you and added in a little something....PG2 has a rather large blocklist of IP addresses that have been identified as being 'bad people'...even when properly running it I've been knocked off the network because of the amount of traffic 'they' have directed at me (basically a DDOS)...

and be honest, have you downloaded anything besides music? or perhaps have fallen prey to a 'needed codec' to play a file and actually downloaded and installed it? been surfing pron sites?..

the fact that McAfee doesn't find anything means squat...for one thing its certainly not the best, and also all AVs and firewalls are vulnerable, and no specific program catches everything...

Google Spybot Search & Destroy and Adaware, download them from their makers website (or an approved mirror), install them, and run them....maybe find an online free AV scanner from a different known company and try that....

now, from my experience the tracing down and removing of the problem may take a long time....longer than it would take to back up your data, reformat your drive, and do a clean install of the OS..possible far longer...i.e. it may be in your best interests to do the above and start over with a clean slate...

So Long and Thanks for All the Files

Beware of the big 3 insurance companies in Texas! Read your policies carefully (maybe you'll need a lawyer) Allstate, Farmers & State Farm are overextended and their 'coverage' is worthless...a true waste of your money Read This