View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2002
Gnutella Aficionado

Taliban is flying high
Default Re: host connections inconsistent; IP questions

Quote:
-- I have a friend, we want to share some files. Can we both just enter an IP that is showing in one or the other's current connections? We did this and found each others files a few times, but now we never "see" each others files. Plus when we DID, they usually stopped up at 99%.
Once the Browse-Host-feature is reimplemented (I think it will come in LimeWire 3.0. At the moment it looks like there will be a 2.4 before 3.0, however) you should be able to browse your friends files and directly download from him.

Quote:
-- Even giving my friend my actual IP, he can't find my files anymore. The FAQ never says how we find our "port" number so we used 6346...
If both of you are shielded clients, there is no way for you to open a connection in the connections-panel to each other.

Quote:
-- Connected hosts: if there are hundreds of hosts out there, how is my computer finding significant numbers of search "hits" when I have only 3 or 5 hosts connected at a time?
The statistics are fairly inaccurate. It depends on certain messages it receives to count hosts. However it only receives those messages from Ultrapeers and Ultrapeers usually don't send those messages very regularly. To calculate the exact number of hosts you can reach, you have to multiply the number in your host count by 30 or 40.

Quote:
-- Even if I'm happy with the hosts I have, they seem to randomly change over time, out of my control.
When you loose a connection, all the hosts, you have received messages from via this connection are deleted from the host count. LimeWire has to start counting from zero again.

Quote:
-- Setting the option to autoconnect to a host on start doesn't seem to do anything. I add an IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxort but once I am online I instead get randomly changing hosts again as noted earlier.
Static connections cannot be established at the moment. If one host fails, LimeWire will automatically search for a new one.

Quote:
-- Do I need the "connect1.gnutella.xxxxx", etc etc, hosts in the autoconnect options?
Yes, as a backup in case router.limewire.com fails.