View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2002
Unregistered

Unhappy thanks! but....

Thanks so much for helping to clear a few things up... Apologies for the length of my queries, but I'm trying to get all my questions answered in as few shots as possible. The FAQs and user guide don't specifically answer these questions.
Thanks again for your patience.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
when the Browse-Host-feature is reimplemented (I think it will come in LimeWire 3.0. you should be able to browse your friends files
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So when Cyclotron's FAQ says to enter each other's IP, that FAQ is actually wrong or outdated for the current versions of Limey? Hmm... too bad. It's one of the reasons I thought Limewire was for me (and my friends).

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If both of you are shielded clients, there is no way for you to open a connection in the connections-panel to each other.
What is a shielded client, how do I found out if I am one, and how do I disable it if so.

I am thinking we aren't shielded, since we were at first ABLE to open the same IP in each other's connection-panel and get files from each other.

Should he and I toggle our ultrapeer option? Or is that unrelated.

quote:
Static connections cannot be established at the moment. If one host fails, LimeWire will automatically search for a new one.
So if my friend and I have the same IP showing (USA to Canada connection) and then one of our Limewires auto-searches for a different one(s)........ Will he and I still eventually find each other or should one of us just re-enter an IP from the other one's connection-panel?

Or should we just wait several minutes to see if "search hits" occur? We both have DSL.

MORE ULTIMATELY: He insists that to find each other's files, one of us always *has to* manually add an IP from the other person's connection-panel (often, this works, and we find each other's shared files)......... So, WITHOUT manually adding the IP, would Limewire find his shared files, would it just take a lot longer or would it fail??

This whole manually-entering IPs is highly confusing to me. Is it EVER necessary???

I had asked of him, What is the point of the search feature if you already have to know the other person's host IPs??

quote:
-- Do I need the "connect1.gnutella.xxxxx", etc etc, hosts in the autoconnect options?
Yes, as a backup in case router.limewire.com fails.
Sorry, I also wanted to know if *that* one was necessary. I was thinking of deleting *all* the default limewire autoconnect hosts and using some of my own I've seen on the connect-panel.

I guess I shouldn't from what you are saying. They are necessary for Limewire to work?