View Single Post
Old December 19th, 2008
Novicius

s.rossano is flying high
Default Add a recommender engine to Phex

Dear all,

starting from the analysis of the spontaneous affinities between Gnutella users, I and some colleagues at University of Turin implemented a distributed recommender engine for p2p file sharing networks that is as simple as promising in terms of prediction accuracy. Talking with Arne, we are thinking about the possibility to integrate such scheme in Phex since it provides an interesting and very useful content filtering scheme. At the beginning of our research we implemented the algorithm in Phex but the code is not longer compatible with the current version. However, we completely redesigned the application during the last few months for another Gnutella client. The code is written in Java and it is very modular, so I think that the core engine could be reused in Phex without particular modifications. Of course, both the old Phex module and the current engine is distributed under an open source license, so I can share the source code. Moreover, I and Andre' Panisson, a Ph.D. student that developed the last version, could actively participate in the development and integration phases. We need to spread the module to a broader community in order to collect feedbacks from users and then setting up a significant evaluation.

Let me know if this sounds good for you.

For more details you can read this paper (also this) or visit the web site of our project.

Rossano