View Single Post
Old January 24th, 2009
Apprentice

davidf01 is flying high
Thumbs down identity management based on advanced trust models - to protect LW chat/messaging from interlopers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhorse 70V View Post
"...who sign a declaration that they are not associated with law enforcement"

Law enforcement officers can lie. They do not have to tell you they are cops, even when specifically asked. If necessary to protect their safety while undercover, they can even use illicit drugs.
perhaps this is true in usa (though i think that this issue about deception might be related to the issue of entrapment - which i understand may in fact be a successful defense in america; so i think this type of broad assertion is better discussed at groklaw where the community will be have technical skills required to make the correct distinctions).

in any case, i am not sure that the same latitude about deception is equally available in every other jurisdiction - so one should qualify one's generalizations so that one does not assume that there is no activity limewire outside america.

furthermore, there are various web-based mechanisms which can represent models of trust that would enhance the reliability of any self-declarations by LW participants (as to their bona fides) ... these should be examined as part of a Pro option for secure identity management (sadly the authentication-oriented X.509 has gone MIA for a decade, so the natural candidate for evolving into a trust-management platform is out the running).