View Single Post
Old May 23rd, 2001
Watcher

Exclamation SECURITY WARNING! Your name is shown in Bearshare!

Vinnie, the God and dictator of Gnutella loves his program name so much he made a secret little keyword that seems to bypass all sorts of safeguards. What's the keyword?

"bearshare"

That was hard to figure out wasn't it?

Go ahead, try it. Search for bearshare and you will find stuff like I did! I didn't use bearshare to get these search results, it may block them.

Filename: brianna@bearshare[1].txt
Contents:
LastVisitCookie
bearshare.net/

So now I just connect the IP with all her MP3 files and I have more proof for a lawsuit. Just think if poor brianna had used her last name!

Go ahead, search for "bearshare bossname" (bossname is your boss' name, or your spouse or whatever) let us know what shows up! I DON'T KNOW HOW FAR THIS GOES!

Vinnie doesn't care about your privacy, it's taken major pressure to get him to get rid his spyware and he continues to use a browser tie in (to IE of all the stupid ideas, no way to turn it off, forced - controlling what you do) and who knows what cookies are getting out over the net.

Do we know what else bearshare does without your knowledge? Do you trust your privacy to a guy who wants to rule the whole Gnutella Net?

Vinnie now says he's going to delete any messages he doesn't like from his forum. So this privacy information wouldn't get out to most of his users. Talk about a control freak! Why does it take so much pressure to get just a few changes from this guy? Why is he so worried about messages asking to make his software more privacy concerned?

BECAUSE HE CAN'T CONTROL EVERYTHING WITHOUT HIS SPYWARE!

Here's another one I found:
Filename: home office@nude-***************[1].txt
Contents:
Apache
tuc125.dakotacom.net.65052985977479297
nude-***************.net/

So now we know where this guy has been, so he likes nude britney spears. But what if it was "gay-naked-guys-doing-it.net" ? And what if the IP was this guys work? Could he lose his job over this? YOU BET!!! (and don't think it doesn't happen, even in secret) I have a date code, IP and a DNS name for his port, what else do I need?

BEARSHARE IS SPYWARE!

I could go on and on, these files are all over the place!

This attitude of BearShare's author sucks and isn't going to change. The only way out is to stop using it and hope he goes away and gets a job somewhere that has nothing to do with the net.

You would think by now people would stop using closed source software like this when it comes to network connections. Your privacy is more important that you think.

Most people don't get it till something bad happens. People run firewalls to protect their computer, the firewall ain't working if you told it that BearShare is OK to transmit packets!

What if I could get your e-mail password? Could I send mail to your boss or lover/spouse and screw up your life? And why would some net kiddie not want to do this just as a "joke"? Thinking it was fun?

Yes, Vinnie will say he fixed this after a lot of pressure, but who knows if he just changed the keyword or encrypted it! He wants access to anything he can get, he wants to control everything he touches, he dreams of being a dictator! Control, control, control!

Run Open Source software only!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! STOP THE BEAR!

(post this everywhere!)