View Single Post
Old February 19th, 2009
Novicius

Lemon_Man is flying high
Unhappy Deleting "Unnecessary Files" I Lost 8,000 Shared LimeWire Files

I went from having over 8,000 shared files in LimeWire, to having 90. It seems that as my hard drive of 150 Gigs was bumping up against storage capacity, I was getting these incessant MS Windows reminders and offers to "delete old or unecessary files." Well, I did so, and next thing I know, the "Disk Cleaner" application is autonomously cleaning out ALL THREE of my HARD DRIVES with no further interaction or querying of me, the Operator/Owner/Licensee. I have forgone "compressing" my hard drives to "save space" because I think that might privatize otherwise shared files. Also, I try to avoid MS DRM Software and Apps such as MediaPlayer and Silverlight for the same reasons. That is, I believe I am the owner and user of my own desktop computer and files. Of course, the corporations, the government, and Microsoft et. al. have other ideas. While I had shared over 8,000 files as recently as a few days ago, I am now showing a completely cleaned out SHARED DIRECTORY (one of several) and my backup app is unable to recover these files, since it ran out of hard drive memory, too. It took me years to collect those files, and just a few minutes to LOSE THEM ALL. Thanks, Microsoft. You can claim another battle victory in a continuing war. Open Source, here I come. Eff MS.

Last edited by Lemon_Man; February 19th, 2009 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Trying to add a LinkBack or HotLink