View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2009
Novicius

Pathos is flying high
Default File Extensions in LimeWire 5

I upgraded to LimeWire 5 today, and needless to say, the first thing I did was search for some new music. But I noticed, when I looked at the files, I couldn't figure out what format they were. I looked at the lists, and I found myself wondering, are these .mp3's? Are they Windows Media files? Are they something else? I wasn't even worried about security at the time, but I did find myself thinking, how much time I'm going to waste downloading formats I can't play, or that I know will have poor sound?

As it happened, the very first song I downloaded, turned out not to be a music file at all, but an executable file. Luckily, my security program caught it when I tried to open it, so I deleted it before it could do anything to my computer. I later found the same file again in a search, and when I went to "More File Info" (which is a very cool new feature, by the way--commendations on that one), I discovered it was a Trojan downloader.

Oddly, for documents, the extension appears right on the file name. Why is this not the case for audio files?

So, for LimeWire 5.1.2... File extensions on audio searches. Preferably on the names of the files, so we don't have to spend time looking for them. Thanks!