View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2002
Unregistered

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ignorance abounds

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgwen

Some of this so called trolls tried to say there opinion on bearshare.net but on bearshare.net there is CENSORSHIP, our KING Vinnie donīt want disagreement in his kingdom!

It doesnīt matter if Vinnie make a good client or not until he is not able to discuss critic without flames, look at Limewire these guys are able to read critic, reply politly and discuss it...

Morgwen,
I dont know what posts you follow over at bearshare.net but Vinnie has always been very open to my ideas and critics as long as they are presented in a constructive manner. I would not expect anyone to respond to, "i hate x." Tell them why x is bad and what you would suggest to change it. Ideas for improving the network. The same topics are always repeated here:

- "no comercial clients" (these same people probably would have complained about netscape and IE as commercial clients for the internet).

-"no spyware/adware". Hey, you have choices as to what client you use

- "Vinnie rules the GDF". I agree that watching the GDF is a slow and frustrating experience. But you cannot blame this on Vinnie. Different ppl have their priorities and push them. It is an open network and anyone COULD implement anything they want. I could point you to countless threads on bye packets, date stamps, and all kinds of other stuff. The fact is that Vinnie, nor LW, rule the GDF and that is exactly why things take so long. They listen to all of the developers and work on an agreement! That is the nature of an open protocol. A closed protocol network could move much faster.

-"BS blocks client X". IF you agree with this or not it doesnt really matter. BS will still allow ALL clients to upload and download from it. It will return searches to all clients. It just doesnt connect to them. So what. The network is huge. You only connect to 1-20 clients. So none of them are BS, SO WHAT.

-"BS clusters". So what. It doesnt effect the rest of the network and there is still plenty of interconnection with the rest of the network. LW does the same thing. WHY? Because they offer features that the rest of the network doesnt. If they arent near other clients with the same features than the features are worthless. It would be stupid not to cluster.

So, what are some issues that I have strongly disagreed with Vinnie on?

-"Limiting search results": Before everyone flames Vinnie, I should point out that John Marshall (Gnucleus) just proposed the same thing at the GDF (and yes he participates in the GDF). The limiting of search results is a major fault of the FT network. We need to make Gnutella better than FT, not the same.

-"Partial file sharing": Vinnie does not believe in the virtue of this feature. I have pushed it hard at the BS forums. Vinnie has always replied with reason and logic (though I still disagree). He has NEVER deleted, edited, censored any of my posts.

The bearshare forums are an open place for constructive input.