View Single Post
Old March 31st, 2009
Novicius

Nikki0417 is flying high
Default Yes, Another Connection Problem

first of all, let me get these questions out of the way.

1. OS version?
Windows XP, an Administrator account.

What firewalls you have?
Just Windows firewall program

How much ram?
1.86 GHz, 504 MB

Hard Disk space available?
60,003,868,672 bytes

Connection type?
Ethernet Cable

Where are you trying to connect from?
School Campus (Savannah College of Art and Design).

What version of LimeWire (LW) & Java do you have?
Limewire 4.18.8 and Java Version 1.6.0_13 from Sun Microsystems Inc.

8. Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?
Honestly, not sure. I'm on the school campus, so, my ISP is whatever they allow. I'll have to ask someone about this question.

Do this simple test for us. Using your browser go here: http://www3.limewire.com:6346/ The page should say 'Your test worked!'. What happens when you go there?
I get an error page instead.

Are you sharing the connection with other computers or p2p sharing programs? If yes, please give details of set up.
Both my roommate and I use ethernet connections, but from two different outlets. I don't know if that counts as us sharing a connection, though. Sorry, I'm not computer savvy, I've had to use google to answer several of these questions. ^^;

11. Is this a your 1st try at LW or is this a new problem with an experienced user.
No and no. I bought a year subscription for LW Pro in October 2008, and I've been using LW Basic longer than that. I've had connection issues in the past, but it's finally starting to bother me, now.

12. Do you see a brick wall in front of the blue world icon at the bottom of LW's interface?
Yes, but in the past, I've been able to get a connection even with the firewall icon.

13. What security programs are you using (antivirus etc)?
Avast Home Edition

14. What country are you living in?
United States

15. Has anything in your setup changed recently? Have you updated your version of LW or Java? Have you added any new software or new hardware? Have you updated any software? Have you moved house, changed internet plan or ISP etc etc?
No.

I've tried nearly EVERY suggestion that I could find in the forums. The only thing I haven't tried is using a proxy server because, as I said, I'm not computer savvy and I wouldn't really no what I was doing. I started out with LW5, then downgraded to LW4, but the problem hasn't gone away. Even though LW is telling me there's a firewall up, I know I've added the program as a exception to Windows Firewall, I've checked several times.

I don't think it's the connection at my campus either, because I was able to use LW here on campus fall of last year. I'm also fairly certain that Avast doesn't come with a firewall. Anyway, here's a list of the things I've tried:
*Downgrade to LW4
*Check firewall
*Disable 'show tips at start up' and 'connect at start up'
*Disable Performancing Options
*Disable OOB Searching
*Purge Download Queue
*Uninstall/Reinstall LW (God knows how many times I've done this)
*Delete/Replace Gnutella File
*Update Java
*Delete Limewire's Preferences Folder
*Change Listening Port
* Install Frostwire

Frostwire didn't connect either; so, I really don't know what's wrong. Please help me, I paid for LW Pro and I'd like to be able to use it.