View Single Post
Old April 21st, 2002
TheOriginalUnregistered

gnutellafan> First it is Vinnies board, so he is free to do with it as he sees fit.

That sums it up pretty good.
This isn't Vinnie's forum, it isn't under his control, no one client is represented here so it's the only FREE and OPEN place you can post about gnutella.
No reason to go anywhere else!

BTW: I love how these threads all get moved to "general guntella".

gnutellafan> as far as I know no one else in this thread has a client or has contributed significant code to a client, so if you ask me to stop contributing my IDEAS (and I wont) I would ask you to do the same.

I did. And I did stop already. So stop contributing to BearShare or LimeWire in any way until they get off Gnutella. And block, block, block them to hell. And if you think it took a Jr. programmer to make the blocking code, go look at all the GUI code I had to do. I think the other programmers would love to do this too, but it's a bit too politically "hot" for them to do it, so I have to do it for them.

You are all losing out on cool features because some developers won't write one more line of code to improve gnutella till the greed leaves. I hope more developers follow. I won't give Vinnie any more support or $$$.
Who wants to contribute a lot of time and effort when someone else profits financially? Go to hell Vinnie, I am not your free little worker bee and gnutella is not your kingdom or profit center.
You have to understand that a lot of the improvements to open source clients are provided by "outside" people who privately e-mail code to the "main" developers. Many don't want credit given, but like to contribute.
Vinnie & co. are going to screw that up for all of you.
However, I will use all my skills in ways that help allow people to remove them and the greed from gnutella. They won't leave unless they are forced to leave, this is the problem with greed on gnutella and it will get worse if we don't stop it now. You can see how much it takes to just get them to pay any attention to ths issue. They don't care what they do to gnutella as long as the $$ flow in. Greed sucks.

gnutellafan> "no spyware/adware". Hey, you have choices as to what client you use

Where have you been? When you choose to use BearShare you force me to contribute to Vinnies new car purchases because you are not just using other BearShare clients to pass your packets and supply you with files. His ads are now supported by my CPU cycles and network resources.
I didn't choose to contribute to BearShare!
You also pass spy packets through my machine, and who knows what else. I don't support spyware.
I now have a way to block the spyware and greed and it's at http://opensourcep2p.sourceforge.net/

gnutellafan> "Partial file sharing": Vinnie does not believe in the virtue of this feature. I have pushed it hard at the BS forums.

Way ahead of you, there are a lot of things that users would benefit from but Vinnie and LimeWire won't add them because it might somehow affect their advertisers. Think hard about how your ideas will affect their ads and you will figure it out. Greed is not always logical, is mostly a twisted way of thinking, and almost always ends up in some sort of control over YOU, the user (or do they think you are the "loser"?) or your resources.

So I strongly suggest for the sake of gnutella, which you support, that you stop using a greedy client and switch today. Gnucleus has all the features of BearShare and more, with no spam or spyware, and my version will allow you to clean up gnutella.