View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2001
Enthusiast

bodhi is flying high
Thumbs down Re: A warning to all about BearShare.

Quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
BearShare is not worth the worry and hassle of possible spyware or adware installed on your machine. Currently, you have the option of not installing OnFlow, SaveNow and New.net, but included in version 2.2.4 is an integrated web browser and who knows what information it is collecting.

The truth of it is, you don't know what information BearShare is "sharing about you" on the GNUtella network or elsewhere while using it. Wake up, people. BearShare is NOT Gnutella. Use another GNUtella client and do NOT support BearShare, regardless of its usability.

BearShare is a user-friendly GNUtella client, but it is NOT privacy friendly. User beware.

Vinnie Falco's (the creator of Bearshare) attitude recently is the reason that have uninstalled Bearshare from my box and have
moved to Gnucleus. I have always been disturbed by the spyware bundling, but put up with it because I thought Bearshare was the best servent available. Then I found out about the encrypted message packets that Bearshare sends out and that disturbed me more. I have never heard a pausible explanation for these encrypted messages from Vinnie to this date.

Finally, within the past week, Vinnie has posted several messages on the Bearshare forums which include vitriolic
comments about folks who may have questiond his judgement in using the spyware and has threatened to shut down the Adware forum on Bearshare.net. He has also been censoring posts which are critical of Bearshare. That was enough for me.

I decided to try a couple of servents that I had never tried to find an alternative to Bearshare and I stumbled upon Gnucleus. Let me tell you folks, Gnucleus is as good, if not better than Bearshare. In many ways it IS better than Bearshare. It is more stable, seems to return more search results which are better organized, and the download resume features are a lot more
intuitve. But best of all, there is NO SPYWARE, it sends no encrypted packets, and is OPEN SOURCE. I uninstalled Bearshare and I'm not looking back. Gnucleus is serving all my Gnutella needs without all the hassle and worry associated with Bearshare. I'd urge anyone who has doubts or privacy concerns about Bearshare to check it out.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by bodhi; May 24th, 2001 at 03:10 PM.