View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2001
Mr Firewall

Cool Linux - Mandrake 7.2a up and running / Firewall Question!

Great SW, great site! I researched before installing. I noticed you have a number of problems, especially with the later releases of Linux. I'm not running the bleeding-edge (as in 8.0 or the cooker) but I am on a reasonably current version. What I really liked was the level of attention this group receives from knowledgable people.

I followed the instructions here for 7.x/8.x versions of Linux - basically download the SW, download JRE from http://java.sun.com (I have no clue how everyone else found it, I did a search in the top right corner for "download"), install JRE 1.3.1 and install using /usr/java/jre1.3.1/bin/java -classpath ./LimeWireOther.zip install

It worked like a champ!!! I was up and running in no time.

I've seen your information on firewalls. I have a DSL connection using PPPOE (rp-pppoe to be exact) and have a somewhat basic understanding of IPChains.

I have a few tweaks in my firewall-masq file (shown below) and I'm guessing this is where I'd put the line for the pass-thru from my firewall to my LimeWire box so I can export my IP. Can someone please give me a sample of the modification I need to make within the snip below?

FYI, my network looks like this -

Internet - DSL Modem - Firewall (Linux) - Hub - LimeWire box (Linux) (and other systems)

Thanks!

--- Here's the snip ---

# Delay and Throughput Config for FTP and Telnet
ipchains -A output -p tcp -d $ANY telnet -t 0x01 0x10
ipchains -A output -p tcp -d $ANY ftp -t 0x01 0x10
ipchains -A output -p tcp -d $ANY ftp-data -t 0x01 0x08
ipchains -A output -p tcp -d $ANY www

# Do masquerading
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward