View Single Post
Old April 22nd, 2002
Ringwraith

Abaris is flying high

adam, i'm sorry if i misunderstood the concept of TopMoxie. One of the posts in the thread i mentioned before implied that one was redirected from certain servers to other ones, which i really would have many concerns about.
if one is really redirected to other areas of the same site only, that is a very different thing and not by far as bad as my former scenario.
however, i don't have to tell you about the popular points of view concerning proxies, especially those that stay on a computer after the program it came with is gone. it is quite natural that things like that are subject to speculations.
honestly, i don't take limewire for the big internet gangster, as i told more than once during this discussion. i see limewire's need for money, as any corporation has to make money in order to survive. but i also see that there are no noble ways to make money from gnutella. the only ways are to bundle stuff, display ads, collect information and the like.
i cannot really see any sense in your concept of TopMoxie. if i am just redirected from "amazon.com" to "amazon.com?affiliate=lime" or something like that, then why should amazon pay you? do they think i will visit amazon more often just because i have limewire installed? why should i, if i don't look carefully at the adress bar, i wouldn't even notice that amazon and limewire have any connection to each other, as you said.
man always fears what he cannot understand. it is natural that i sense a trap in this proxy thing, anything that makes its installation worth the money that your affiliates pay you. regarding the fact that all my internet traffic is indeed routed through TopMoxie, suspicions become even more concrete. i don't want to say now that topMoxie indeed spys on users, for i have no proof and i have not tested it. but i would still sense great danger in having it installed on my system.
perhaps you can clear things up and explain to me what makes TopMoxie so valuable for affiliate sites. i wouldn't want to badmouth your source of money without good reason.