View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2009
Novicius

sabatier is flying high
Default Detection of File Sharing by Authorities

Hi,

I'm on a university network in England and have been downloading software through vuze since last October.

Last week the college authorities disconnected me from the network because they detected that I had been using file sharing software (specifically, downloading windows xp). As a result I have been fined 100 pounds. I also had to meet the dean and explain myself. Now, I told him that I required winXP for my dissertation (I use a Mac). So he said I should tell this to the computing services to see if they will remove the fine, since I had a 'good' reason for using file sharing software!!!

Now my question is this: If I go to the computing services and plead my case, is there any chance that they have a log of all the stuff I downloaded in the last couple of months? Or can they only see what I'm downloading while it is happening? Because as you can probably understand, I don't want to be fined anymore if they find out about all the other stuff I've been downloading!

So, anyone who's in the know, what do you think? Should I go to the IT officer and risk being completely found out? Or just leave it and settle with a fine for one offence?