View Single Post
Old June 13th, 2009
ReTired

Sleepless is just really nice

Since this thread got so way off topic anyways and into the world of FLAC, tags and players, I might as well add this.

When we get into the really insane encodes, like 24bit 48kHz or even 96kHz FLAC Vinyl rips, most players will not be able to decode those. Including but not limited to the ever popular VLC, iTunes, MPC and older versions of Foobar2000.

You will need to have the never versions of Foobar2000 or other players with FLAC decoding options, which will notice the 24bit depth. I am guessing the same goes for 32bit, although I had nothing to test that with.

The FLAC tester will say they are corrupt, even with the newest FLAClib. But it will both decode to .wav and encode back to the same exact FLAC.

I almost deleted a few albums last night thinking they were corrupt. Thanks God I did some Googling before I did. Especially considering the size of the albums. Like the 24bit 96kHz copy of the limited edition double album of ...And Justice For All is over 1.3GB in size for just over 65 minutes of music. You don't have to edit that because I own the Original.

But it's all worth it. The CD sounds like crap compared to the Vinyl. There is just something about Vinyl that a CD just doesn't catch.

These encodes are not playable on CD. If someone was to burn them, they would first need to get the sample rate down to 44.100Hz by first decoding to .wav and the using something like r8brain http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/ (freeware)

Last edited by Sleepless; June 13th, 2009 at 07:26 PM.