View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2009
Airhead

birdy has a distinguished reputationbirdy has a distinguished reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasinut View Post
Thanks!! That did it-I just needed to make an exception for LW5 in my firewall. It's interesting that I could acknowledge all the other users but couldn't download from them quickly even though it was "firewalled". Now that it's downloading better-any more advice on how to cut back on the resources it drains? If I have nothing but LW open & my Trend Micro-my computer can't run anything else-much less quickly. Is there a way I can set it to use only 1/2 my resources so I can work while it downloads??
See whether reinstalling Java helps. You can download the latest Java here: Java SE Downloads
Download the JRE offline installer & remove any other Java versions via Add/Remove Programs, before installing another one. Reboot your computer after installing the new Java version.

Also try disabling performance options. In LW tools > options > advanced > super really advanced > performance. Disable ultrapeer capabilities, connecting to DHT & also TLS > ok.

Reduce your simultaneous downloads again. Different versions of LW behave differently for everyone - maybe you'll need to have fewer simultaneous downloads with LW 5?

You could get rid of any pending downloads that are stuck at 0% (or stuck at a tiny download %). Or if you have downloads that have been stuck for ages & you think you could sacrifice them - cancel those as well.
In LW 5, cancelling a download deletes it completely, so you shouldn't need to delete those files from the Incomplete folder

Are you sharing heaps of files? Try reducing the number of files that you share.

Did you originally delete LW's preferences folder? You said you went looking for it, but not whether you deleted it. If you didn't, try that as well. See the thread below for info & don't forget to back up your Downloads/.dat file if you want to resume your incomplete downloads later. Post #5 of the thread below has info about that.
Fixes for Limewire when LW isn't operating as it should